Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Blog 1: The Allegory of The Cave

"The Allegory of The Cave" is a fictional dialogue written by Socrates and Glaucon. The Allegory explains how a group of people were held captive their entire lives not knowing anything about the real world. In the allegory of prisoner is freed, and is able to see the "real world". When the prisoner returns and tries to share all that he has seen and experienced with his fellow prisoners they think that he is insane and foolish. They believe there is no such thing and if there is, it is not worth being seen.

If I were in Socrates' cave I think I would be in the stage of walking out into the light. I'm seeing a bunch of new things that I've never seen before in my life.

I know that I am in the stage of walking out into the light because as a child my home and family is all that I knew. Growing up I lived in a house with my brother and sister and both my mother and father. I believed all my parents taught me and that was just how things worked. I never questioned anything or anyone. That was until i got old enough to think for myself. Simple stories such as babies come from the stork, the tooth fairy, and Santa Clause I believed, because it was all I knew. In time I found out about pregnancy and conception as well as many other things. My mind wandered, I wanted to learn more, I wanted to know what else I wasn't told or I was led to believe as a child. With age I began questioning things and not just believing everything. I grew older and wiser and I know see the world much different than when I was in the "cave". My mentality is now much more mature and able to handle all obstacles in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment